Zebra® GK420™ Healthcare Printer
Safeguarding patient health is of utmost importance in the healthcare industry, followed by adhering to compliance standards. New government regulations impose substantial penalties for noncompliance with patient-safety mandates.
Keeping instruments, tools and products that come into contact with patients clean of any potential germs, blood or other infectious liquids is critical. And, cleaners can be harsh. Healthcare facilities need devices that can withstand regular cleaning and enable compliance.
Additionally, power supply units for medical electrical equipment used throughout healthcare facilities must be certified to meet IEC 60601-1 specifications. Complying with these standards can be complex and costly.
Protecting patient safety and ensuring compliance with standards just got easier with Zebra’s GK420 Healthcare printers. Part of Zebra’s healthcare product line, GK420 Healthcare desktop printers are constructed using durable materials designed to withstand regular cleaning with harsh disinfectant chemicals over their lifetime.
Engineered for years of performance specifically in healthcare environments, these printers come in a color palette designed for the industry. And, GK420 Healthcare printers are designed with a medical- grade power supply that meets IEC 60601-1 standards to further protect patient and staff safety by reducing the risk of electrical shock. Now, healthcare professionals can print labels and wristbands anywhere in a healthcare facility.
Ideal for These Applications
• Medication identification in the pharmacy
• Sample processing and slide labeling in the lab
• Tissue identification and implant tracking in the surgery center
• Blood bank labeling
• Breast milk bank labeling
• Medical records labeling
• Compliance labeling
• Asset identification and tracking
ACHIEVE NEW LEVELS OF HIGH PERFORMANCE WITH INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY, FLEXIBILITY AND IMPROVED ROI.
Available in both direct thermal and thermal transfer models, GK420 Healthcare printers can accommodate a broad range of applications in a healthcare setting. Advanced connectivity options include standard Serial/USB/Parallel communication and optional USB/ Ethernet models, so these printers can be easily integrated into existing local or networked systems. And, native ZPL® and EPL™ programming languages ensure GK420 Healthcare printers fit in perfectly with other Zebra printers.
Building on the GK420’s proven reputation for reliable printing in space-constrained environments, the 4-inch GK420 Healthcare printers deliver advancements in healthcare-specific construction and electrical certifications. Featuring a medical-grade power supply and constructed with durable, disinfectant-ready materials in the desired healthcare color palette, these printers can withstand regular cleaning with harsh chemicals over their lifetime to perform anywhere in the healthcare environment.
Adherence to Industry Standards
Designed with a medical-grade power supply certified to IEC 60601-1 standards, GK420 Healthcare printers protect patient and staff safety by reducing the risk of electrical shock. And, these printers can produce labels that meet the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute® (CLSI) harmonization standard.
Certified for Healthcare Applications
As with all of Zebra’s healthcare solutions, GK420 Healthcare printers are certified and recommended by all of the leading Electronic Health Records (EHR) providers. And, these printers are certified to print International Society of Blood Transfusion (ISBT) 128 blood bag labels.
Space and Cost Savings
Easy to use, GK420 Healthcare printers boast the smallest footprint of any 4-inch desktop printer and the easiest ribbon-loading system available. ENERGY STAR® 2.0 qualified, these printers also reduce operational costs.
Cleaning Made Simple
The following cleaning agent ingredients are safe to use on GK420 Healthcare printers:
• Isopropyl and Ethyl alcohol (including wipes)
• Hydrogen peroxide
• Phosphoric acid
• Bleach/sodium hypochlorite
• Mild dish soap
Recommended cleaning agents include:
• Windex® Blue (or Isopropyl alcohol-based equivalent)
• CaviCide® (or Isopropyl and Ethyl alcohol-based equivalent)
• Lysol® Healthcare (or hydrogen peroxide-based equivalent)
• Wescodyne® (or phosphoric acid-based equivalent)
• 409® Glass and Surface Cleaner (or dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride or other ammonium-based equivalent)
ZEBRA’S GK420 HEALTHCARE PRINTERS ARE AVAILABLE IN TWO MODELS:
THERMAL TRANSFER GK420T HEALTHCARE & DIRECT THERMAL GK420D HEALTHCARE.
DIRECT THERMAL VS. THERMAL TRANSFER: WHICH MODEL BEST MEETS YOUR NEEDS?
|Application||Recommended Print Technology|
|Laboratory and Surgery Center Labeling||Thermal Transfer – Labels on specimens may be subjected to harsh cleaning products, sterilization or temperature extremes. Thermal transfer printing typically provides more durable printed output|
|Blood and Milk Bank Labeling||Thermal Transfer – Donated blood and breast milk samples may be subjected to cleaning agents and temperature extremes. Thermal transfer printing offers a more- durable and longer-lasting printed output.|
|Medical Records Labeling||Direct Thermal – Use direct thermal if patient privacy is a concern or the labels will be used for a shorter period of time. Since Direct Thermal printers don’t use a ribbon, there is no secondary record of the printed information that would require careful disposal. For longer lasting labels, thermal transfer may be required.|
|Prescription Labeling||Direct Thermal – With no secondary record of printed information, Direct Thermal printing offers added security in safeguarding patient privacy.|
|Asset Tracking Labeling||Thermal Transfer – Assets may be subject to harsh cleaning products and identification may be required for several years. Labels printed with Thermal Transfer technology are more durable.|
Increase printer uptime and reduce lost productivity and unbudgeted repair costs by selecting a ZebraCare service agreement. A cost-effective means of planning and budgeting for your annual maintenance expenditures, your agreement ensures that trained Zebra technicians will bring your printer back to factory specifications. Zebra offers a variety of plans to fit your budget and business needs.
Genuine Zebra™ Supplies
Ensure consistent print quality and reduce downtime with Genuine Zebra supplies. Zebra manufactures each supplies product, including healthcare- specific media, with the exact same materials every time so you always get crisp, readable and scannable output without needing to adjust the printer darkness setting between rolls.
Zebra’s IQ Color labels were developed to meet CLSI’s approved standard for specimen collection and give clinicians the ability to highlight the priority status and container type in red as indicated at the left side of the label. Zebra also offers standard paper labels and moisture-resistant polypropylene labels for use with samples that need to be placed in ice upon collection.
SPECIFICATIONS AT A GLANCE*
GK420d Healthcare (direct thermal)
GK420t Healthcare (thermal transfer)
• Print methods: thermal transfer or direct thermal
• Programming language: EPL and ZPL are standard
• Construction: dual-wall frame
• Tool-less printhead and platen replacement
• OpenACCESS™ for easy media loading
• Quick and easy ribbon loading
• Auto-calibration of media
• Triple connectivity: USB, Parallel, Serial
• ENERGY STAR® qualified
203 dpi/8 dots per mm
Standard: 4 MB Flash; 8 MB SDRAM
Maximum Print Length
Maximum Print Speed
5”/127 mm per second
Standard: Fixed reflective and transmissive sensors
Label and Liner Length
• Maximum non-continuous: 39”/991 mm
• Minimum label length: .38″/9.7 mm
Maximum Label and Liner Width
0.75”/19 mm to 4.25”/108 mm
Maximum Media Roll Size
5”/127 mm O.D
0.003”/0.08 mm to 0.0075”/0.19 mm
Roll-fed or fan-fed, die-cut or continuous direct thermal labels with or without black line, tag stock, continuous receipt paper, wristbands
• Outside diameter: 1.36”/35 mm
• Standard length: 244’/74 m
• Ratio: 1:1 media to roll to ribbon
• Width: 1.33”/33.8 mm to 4.3”/109.2 mm
• Core inner diameter: 0.5”/12.7 mm
• Operating temperature: 40° F/4.4° C to 105° F/41° C
• Storage temperature: -40° F/-40° C to 140° F/60° C
• Operating humidity: 10% to 90% non-condensing
• Storage humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
• Auto-detectable (PFC Compliant) 100-240VAV, 50-60Hz
• ENERGY STAR qualified
• IEC 60601-1 Certified
• Emissions: FCC Part 15, Subpart B (Class B), ICES 003
• Emissions and Susceptibility: EN55022 (Class B), EN55024, EN61000-3-2, EN61000-3-3
• Safety: CB Scheme IEC 60950-1, TUV NRTL
|Direct Thermal||Thermal Transfer|
|Width:||6.75″/171 mm||7.6″/193 mm|
|Height:||6.0″/152 mm||7.5″/191 mm|
|Depth:||8.25″/210 mm||10.0″/254 mm|
|Weight:||3 lbs/1.4 kg||4.6 lbs/2.1 kg|
• ZebraDesigner™ Pro
• ZebraNet™ Bridge Enterprise
• ZebraNet Utilities v7.0
• ZebraDesigner Windows Driver
• POS Driver
Networking and Connectivity
Ethernet – 10/100 internal (optional)
• EPL Line Mode (direct thermal only)
• ZPL II®
• Web View
• ZBI™ Communication and Interface Capabilities
• RS-232 auto-sensing Serial interface, DB-9
• USB V1.1, bi-directional
• Centronics® parallel
• Ethernet—10/100 internal (optional, replaces Serial and Parallel ports)
Fonts and Character Sets
• 16 resident expandable ZPL II bitmap fonts
• One resident scaleable ZPL font
• Five resident expandable EPL2 fonts
• Native open type font support
• Unicode™ compliant for multi-language, on- demand thermal printing
• Supports user-defined fonts and graphics— including custom logos
• ZPL II drawing commands—for boxes and lines Barcode Symbologies
• Barcode Ratios: 2:1 (non-rotated) and 3:1
• Linear Barcodes: Codabar, Code 11 (ZPL), Code 128, Code 39, Code 93, Code 93, EAN-13, EAN-8, EAN-14 (ZPL), German Post Code (EPL), Industrial 2-of-5 (ZPL), Interleaved 2-of-5, Japanese Postnet (EPL), ISBT-128 (ZPL), Logmars (ZPL), MSI, Plessey, Postnet, GS1 DataBar (RSS-14), Standard 2-of-5 (ZPL), UCC/EAN-128 (EPL), UPC and EAN 2 or 5 digit extensions (ZPL), UPC-A, UPC-A and UPC-E with EAN 2 or 5 digit extensions, UPC-E, and GS1 Databar (formerly RSS)
• 2-Dimensional: Codablock (ZPL), Code 49 (ZPL), Data Matrix, MaxiCode, QR Code, PDF417, MicroPDF417, Aztec (For EPL and ZPL except where noted)
Options and Accessories
• ZebraNet® 10/100 Print Server—Internal Ethernet for network communication and printing
• Font Packs—Asian and other international font kits
• ZKDU™ and KDU Plus™ keyboard display units for stand-alone printing solutions
• Interface cables and adapters